Sunday, April 19, 2020

Alien Coffee


These are unusual times -- so unusual that flavored coffee has invaded the galley at Whaling House. The image below is so incongruous that my most devoted coffee students will immediately have questions. For everyone else, this is a good opportunity to share a few ideas about coffee, particularly flavored coffee.
Image may contain: drink

Rather than write a lengthy post, I have decided to make a video about this weekend's coffee. The video will include a reference to this blog and also to A Story About Coffee by Pam Hayes-Bohanan.



It will be featured in my Coffee Week course this summer, which will be offered online for the first time. Since the Coronavirus crisis precludes the usual visit to Whaling House, I am bringing a few words about Whaling House to the course.



And although I spent 15 minutes explaining the milk in this coffee, I do have two things to add.

First, I forgot to mention that the residue of the flavored coffee stays in the grinder, even if it is used only once. This might necessitate a thorough cleaning; in my case I compromised by grinding some unflavored coffee that I put right in compost. It is a waste in one sense, but allows for proper enjoyment of the next cup. I can still detect the aroma while grinding, but it is not present in the cup.

Second, Pam found a clever way to redeem some of the flavored coffee. She blended vanilla ice cream, coffee milk from our local dairy, chocolate syrup, and a few ground mint-choco coffee beans for delicious milkshakes (or maybe they're frappes) yesterday afternoon.  Delicious! (And yes, I ran some extra coffee through the grinder after she did this.)

Lagniappe

Thanks in advance to Bones Coffee for being good sports about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment